frisk n : the act of searching someone for concealed weapons or illegal drugs [syn: frisking]
1 play boisterously; "The children frolicked in the garden"; "the gamboling lambs in the meadows"; "The toddlers romped in the playroom" [syn: frolic, lark, rollick, skylark, disport, sport, cavort, gambol, romp, run around, lark about]
2 search as for concealed weapons by running the hands rapidly over the clothing and through the pockets; "The police frisked everyone at the airport"
- Rhymes: -ɪsk
- To search somebody by
feeling their clothes.
- The police frisked the suspiciously acting individual and found a knife as well as a bag of marijuana.
- Usage note: The word frisk is slightly informal compared to search.
Frisk can refer to different things including:
- Frisking is where a police officer or other law enforcement agent runs his or her hands along the outer garments to detect any concealed weapons or other contraband;
- Frisk is a surname of Swedish origin, one of many Swedish army names originally given to soldiers to make their names more distinctive;
- Frisk (breath mints) is a brand of breath mints manufactured by the Perfetti Van Melle company;
- Frisk (novel), a 1991 novel (ISBN 0-8021-3289-8) by gay author Dennis Cooper. It is the second in Cooper's five-book "George Miles cycle." The novel focuses on a gay serial killer;
- Frisk (film), the title of the 1995 film adaptation of the novel. Directed by Todd Verow and starring Michael Gunther and Craig Chester, the film is part of the New Queer Cinema genre;
frisk in German: Frisk
frisk in Norwegian: Frisk
frisk in Swedish: Frisk
amble, antic, beat the bushes, bob, bounce, burrow, canter, caper, capriole, caracole, carol, carry on, cavort, check out, chirp, chirrup, clap hands, curvet, cut a dido, cut capers, cut up, dance, delight, delve, dido, dig, disport, domiciliary visit, dragnet, examine, exploration, explore, exult, falcade, fan, flounce, fool around, forage, frolic, gallop, gambade, gambado, gambol, glory, go on horseback, go over, go through, hack, horse around, house-search, hunt, hunting, inspect, joy, jubilate, jump about, leap, lilt, look around, look round, look through, lope, mount, nose around, pace, perquisition, piaffe, play, poke, poke around, posse, prance, probe, pry, quest, ramp, ransacking, rejoice, research, revel, ride bareback, ride hard, rollick, romp, root, rummage, search, search party, search through, search warrant, search-and-destroy operation, searching, shake down, sing, skip, skip for joy, smell around, sport, stalk, stalking, still hunt, take horse, tittup, trip, trot, turning over, whistle